Covid projects and newsroom diversitySuggest edits
Welcome back, hacks and hackers! Harvard’s Nieman Fellowships, which are open to journalists around the world, has opened applications for fellowships beginning in 2021.
This year, the program directors are especially interested in projects on the coronavirus, public health and newsroom diversity. Applications are open.
Worth a read:
- GIJN wrote a guide on how to track World Bank spending in your country. The bank is providing about $14 billion across in COVID-19 relief around the world.
- Scientists have found themselves having to rename genes like “SEPT1” to “SEPTIN1” because Excel automatically reformats them as dates. The struggle is real.
- The coronavirus pandemic delivered the final financial blow to over 50 newspapers in the US, many of which were founded over a century ago.
- South Africa - Business & Investment Reporter, Business Insider
- UK - AI Research Engineer, Bloomberg
- UK - Head of Audience, The Telegraph
- UK - European Business Reporter, Wall Street Journal
- US - Designer, American City Business Journals
- US - Software Engineer, American Public Media Group
- US - Engagement Reporter, American Public Media Group
- US - Engagement Editor, CalMatters
- US - Data Journalist, NBC News
- US - Full Stack Rails Developer, USA Today
- US - Lead Software Engineer, Wall Street Journal
- Sep 16-17, Online, Media Party 2020
- Sep 21-25, Online, IRE Conference
- Sep 23-27, Online, Environmental Journalism Conference
- Sep - Nov, Online, EIJC & Dataharvest
- Oct, Online, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- Oct 23-25, Online, Association of LGBTQ journalists (NLGA)
- Oct 1-16, Online, Online News Association Conference
- Dec 4-6, Online, Journalism & Women Symposium
- Rolling deadline, Apply for funds for a solutions journalism freelancer
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, National Geographic grants to cover COVID-19
- Rolling deadline, FIJ grant for Americans to cover COVID-19
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, ECFJ grants for stories on elections, AI, disinformation
- Rolling deadline, Ukraine Media Development Fund
- Rolling deadline, Fund for Environmental Journalism Rapid Response