Help our fellow African hacks and hackers with a surveySuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! Code for Africa developed a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) platform that provides courses to help journalists develop technical skills and learn about covering specific topic areas.
They’re looking for users to provide feedback on the site so it can better serve journalists’ needs, so please help them out by filling out their form here.
The week ahead:
- Brisbane is talking about the power of natural language generation
Worth a read:
- The Solutions Journalism Network is offering funding, training and support for data reporting that spotlights “positive deviants” - outliers that might provide solutions to social problems.
- The Markup analyzed Covid vaccine websites to see how they score in privacy, performance and accessibility, bringing up good considerations to take into account when reporting on government websites meant for public use.
- The Uproot Project is a new global network to connect and support journalists of color who cover the environment, so more perspectives and historically underrepresented voices are spotlighted in climate change reporting.
- Anywhere - Disinformation Project Director, Convergence Center
- Anywhere - Infographic Illustrator, Code for Africa
- Anywhere - Investigative Data Analyst, Code for Africa
- Anywhere - Multimedia Designer, Code for Africa
- US - Environment & Climate Change Reporter, CapRadio
- US - Deputy Managing Editor, inewsource
- US - Data & Visualization Reporter, Lancaster Online
- US - Editor & Content Officer, Earth Journalism Network
- March 30-31, Online, News Product Alliance Summit
- April 14-15, Online, #UNCOVERED Conference
- April 15-16, Online, SKUP Conference
- April 20-23, Online, Pulitzer Center Conference
- April 26-30, Online, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- May 1-3, Namibia, World Press Freedom Day Conference
- May 18-21, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- June 7-11, Online, RightsCon
- June 14-15, Germany, Global Media Forum
- June 14-18, Online, Investigative Reporters & Editors Conference
- August 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- August 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- November 3-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- April 25, European journalists can apply for Google News Initiative fellowship
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, FIJ grant for Americans to cover COVID-19
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism