SRCCON is announcedSuggest edits
It’s back, hacks and hackers! SRCCON has been announced for 2021.
Its organizer, OpenNews, is also offering scholarships to help attend this or other events.
Happening this week:
- London is talking about collaboration between reporters and devs
Worth a read:
- GIJN took a look at data visualization throughout 2020 to see what patterns and trends emerged, like a pivot to scrollytelling and animation as well as increased collaboration among scientists, epidemiologists and journalists.
- When brainstorming about how to visualize a set of data, it can be limiting to only work within code or third party viz platforms; sketching can help journalists understand their data better and think of innovative ways to represent it.
- It’s not just radical media sites and social media echochambers that are spreading disinformation, it can come straight from search engines like Google too.
- Anywhere - Front End Developer, ICIJ
- Anywhere - Investigative Editor, In These Times
- Anywhere - Data Journalist, Word in Black
- South Asia - Data Engineer, OCCRP
- UK - Director, Ethical Journalism Network
- UK - Head of Social Media, Newsweek
- US - Senior Engineer, The Atlantic
- US - Data Reporter, Colorado Public Radio
- US - Audience Editor, Deseret.com
- US - Chair in Computational Journalism, Georgia Institute of Technology
- US - Data Mining & Analytics Reporter, On Point Investigations
- US - News App Developer, PennLive
- US - Data & Computational Journalism Professor, University of Maryland
- March 30-31, Online, News Product Alliance Summit
- April 14-15, Online, #UNCOVERED Conference
- April 15-16, Online, SKUP Conference
- April 20-23, Online, Pulitzer Center Conference
- April 26-30, Online, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- May 1-3, Namibia, World Press Freedom Day Conference
- May 18-21, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- June 7-11, Online, RightsCon
- June 14-15, Germany, Global Media Forum
- June 14-18, Online, Investigative Reporters & Editors Conference
- August 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- August 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, FIJ grant for Americans to cover COVID-19
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism