Help with a study on civic technologySuggest edits
Hello hacks and hackers, we are looking for interviewees. A student at the University of Southern California is writing a thesis on data literacy in the civic tech sector and would like to hear H/H members' perspectives.
If you would like to be interviewed, please check out Alejandro Alvarado Rojas' information page. He is seeking 30-60 minute interviews until the end of the month.
The week ahead:
- London is talking about writing books and understanding audiences
Worth a read:
- One of the most important parts of finishing up an investigation is making sure it reaches the right audience. This GIJN tipsheet gives tips on how to reach more people and maximize impact when sharing your investigative stories.
- Bringing back the newsroom role of ombudsman or public editor - someone who acts as a kind of independent fact-checker to keep the newsroom transparent and accountable - might help rebuild public credibility in the mainstream media.
- Line charts have existed since at least 1786, and this blogpost goes into the basic tenets of line charts that have held up over time, as well as tips on keeping them clean, simple and effective.
- Anywhere - Director of Technology, Human Rights Watch
- US - Data Reporter, American Public Media Group
- US - Digital Lab Fellowship, Consumer Reports
- US - Data and Interactives Editor, Dallas Morning News
- US - Full Stack Developer, Dallas Morning News
- US - Digital Initiatives Associate, Defense News
- US - Technology and Business Reporter, GeekWire
- US - Data Journalism Fellow, U.S. News & World Report
- April 14-15, Online, #UNCOVERED Conference
- April 15-16, Online, SKUP Conference
- April 20-23, Online, Pulitzer Center Conference
- April 26-30, Online, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- May 1-3, Namibia, World Press Freedom Day Conference
- May 18-21, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- June 7-11, Online, RightsCon
- June 14-15, Germany, Global Media Forum
- June 14-18, Online, Investigative Reporters & Editors Conference
- August 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- August 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- November 3-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- April 25, European journalists can apply for Google News Initiative fellowship
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, FIJ grant for Americans to cover COVID-19
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism