Meetups in Nairobi, Nigeria, Dar es Salaam and TaipeiSuggest edits
Happening this week:
- Nigeria is using Open Data Kit
- Dar es Salaam is countering Covid misinfo
- Nairobi is studying ethics principles
- Taipei is holding a workshop on Datasette
Worth a read:
- The death of local news is contributing to the endangerment of some indigenous languages, like Kadazan in Malaysia.
- There has been a recent increase in venture capital firms and startups purchasing media companies, TechCrunch reports.
- Coinbase, a leading company in cryptocurrency management, is planning to launch a media arm with a staff of up to 30.
- June 7-11, Online, RightsCon
- June 9-10, Online, INN Days
- June 14-15, Germany/Online, Global Media Forum
- June 14-18, Online, Investigative Reporters & Editors Conference
- Aug 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- Aug 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- Sep 29 - Oct 2, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- Nov 3-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism