Meeting online and offSuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! While some parts of the world are beginning to meet in person again, many are not, and Hacks/Hackers wants to encourage everyone to meet and greet safely.
If you are an organizer of a local Hacks/Hackers group, please get in touch about using our paid Zoom account! It can accommodate up to 500 attendees without a time limit.
Worth a read:
- The Knight Foundation compiled a guide for news publishers to better collaborate with communities of color through grants, organizations, trainings and fellowships.
- Twitter launched a new premium service called Twitter Blue in Australia and Canada that costs $3 a month and adds features like an undo button, folders for bookmarks and more. Still no edit button, though.
- This GIJN guide on how to use data journalism to report on war and conflict shows how to use techniques like digital forensics and geolocation to document war crimes, violence and refugee movements around the world.
- Anywhere - Deputy Director of Local News Transformation, American Press institute
- Anywhere - Sr. Web Applications Engineer, American Press Institute
- Anywhere - Sr. Security Engineer, Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Anywhere - Journalism Lecturer, UC Berkeley
- South Africa - Digital News Editor, The Citizen
- US - Software Engineer, The Advocate
- US - Sr. Investigative Data Journalist, Bloomberg
- US - Executive Editor, Columbia Missourian
- US - Executive Director, Investigative Studios
- US - College Campus Correspondent, MediaWise
- US - Editorial Interactives Developer, The New Yorker
- US - Front-End Developer, Rest of World
- US - Product Manager, Rest of World
- US - Creative Director, Washington City Papers
- June 7-11, Online, RightsCon
- June 9-10, Online, INN Days
- June 14-15, Germany/Online, Global Media Forum
- June 14-18, Online, Investigative Reporters & Editors Conference
- Aug 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- Aug 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- Sep 29 - Oct 2, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- Nov 3-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism