New research on local news and curation algorithmsSuggest edits
We have news, hacks and hackers! Earlier this year, H/H helped organize a series of conversations on the surfacing of local news, with the Credibility Coalition and the Nieman Foundation at Harvard. The discussion included journalists from a variety of outlets, most of them local news, and representatives of several major tech platforms.
You can read about the results in “An Introduction to Schemas for Journalists,” written by Hacks/Hackers' Samantha Sunne, and “Bridging the Divide Between Local News and Online Platforms” by Michael Blanding. Both papers are available for download on the Credibility Coalition website.
Worth a read:
- Video calls tax your brain more than in-person conversations, leading to a special kind of tiredness. But Vox’s Recode says “Zoom fatigue” is here to stay.
- A new paper in Nieman Reports focuses on the increasing pressures on independent media in Russia. New legislation, social media, Covid misinformation and other factors are forcing some independent outlets to close down.
- Olympics coverage at the Washington Post and New York Times top the list of of GIJN Top 10 this week.
- Anywhere, Managing Editor, Global Investigative Journalism Network
- Anywhere, Director of Policy and Programs, Bellingcat
- Canada, Full Stack Developer, Global News
- Netherlands, Programme Coordinator, Free Press Unlimited
- South Africa, Digital Administrator, The Citizen
- UK, Newsroom Innovation Prototyper, The Telegraph
- UK, Tech Correspondent, Dow Jones
- US, Director of Journalism, Knight Foundation
- US, Program Manager, Education Writers Association
- US, Interactive Designer, NBC
- US, Data Reporter, Houston Chronicle
- US, Digital Editor, Seattle Times
- Aug 11-13, Online, SRCCON
- Aug 18-21, Online, NABJ Conference
- Aug 24-28, Online, AAJA Conference
- Aug 26-28, Ukraine, Lviv Media Forum
- Sep 28-30, Taiwan, World News Media Congress 2021
- Sep 29 - Oct 2, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- Oct 3-5, Africa/Online, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- Nov 1-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism