Hacks Hackers meetups in London, Prague, Nigeria, Quito, NairobiSuggest edits
There’s a lot going on, hacks and hackers! There are local meetups happening in five countries, on three continents, all in one week.
Plus, the University of Illinois in the US is seeking a director for a brand new journalism innovation center.
Happening this week:
- Prague is rebooting with a beer garden meetup
- London is having a virtual meetup
- Nigeria is building maps in QGIS
- Quito is gathering ideas for a hackathon
- Nairobi is identifying fake videos
Worth a read:
- Companies and organizations have spent millions training AI, but with privacy and information sensitivity concerns rising, researchers are trying to figure out if there are ways to untrain machine-learning algorithms without rebuilding them from the ground up.
- Analyzing satellite and aerial imagery of cities and neighborhoods can help visualize the scale of wealth inequality.
- Nightingale introduced a new section called The Kids’ Table to provide kid-friendly lessons and activities on creating data visualizations.
- Anywhere - OSS Engineer, Coiled
- Canada - Web Developer, Investigative Journalism Foundation
- India - Data Scientist, Tattle
- UK - Energy Sector Data Journalist, GlobalData
- UK - Digital News Reporter, The Northern Echo
- US - Front End Visual Developer, American Chemical Society
- US - Content Automation Manager, Lee Enterprises
- US - Data Hub Web Developer, Newsday
- US - Data/Graphics Editor, NPR
- US - Graphics Editor, NPR
- US - Digital Designer/Developer, San Francisco Chronicle
- US - Journalism Program Director, University of Illinois
- Sep 28-30, Taiwan, World News Media Congress 2021
- Sep 29 - Oct 2, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- Oct 1-2, Online, Cumbre Global sobre Desinformación
- Oct 3-5, Africa/Online, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- Oct 7-8, Online, Truth and Trust Online Conference
- Oct 14-15, Online, ONA Insights
- Nov 1-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Nov 3-4, Online, News Philanthropy Summit
- April 1-2, Austin, USA, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- October 27, Investigation grants for environmental journalism in the EU
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism