HH joins NSF Convergence AcceleratorSuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! We’re excited to announce some big news. Together with the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering, and other partners and collaborators, our team has been invited to join the National Science Foundation’s Convergence Accelerator program.
Participation in the Convergence Accelerator, which includes an award of $749,000, will include development of an expert-informed software tool called ARTT (“Analysis and Response for Trust Tool”) that will address vaccine safety online.
Connie Moon Sehat, Hacks/Hackers Researcher at Large, will lead the project, together with co-primary investigators Amy X. Zhang and Franziska Roesner, both with the Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington.
Worth a read:
- The concept of the pixel first came to light around the French Revolution from Joseph Fourier. This Aeon essay goes over the history of the pixel and gives an in-depth explanation of what they are: “a repackaging of infinity.”
- The Apriori Algorithm helps find frequent items in a dataset, and this Towards Data Science blogpost goes over how to employ it in Python with a case study of analyzing items that are frequently bought together at the grocery store.
- The Reuters Institute interviewed eight of the top environmental journalists in Brazil on how to best cover the climate crisis, from gaining scientific literacy to reporting stories in a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Anywhere - Developer, Bellingcat
- Anywhere - Data Scientist, Bellingcat
- Anywhere - Afghan Journalist Fellow, Buzzfeed
- Anywhere - Audience & Membership Associate, Devex
- Anywhere - Story Editor, Global Press Journal
- Anywhere - Researcher, Tortoise
- Anywhere - Editors Institute Director, Type Investigations
- Africa - Africa Editor, openDemocracy
- Belgium - Project Coordinator, Journalismfund.eu
- Kenya - Project Manager, Reuters
- South Africa - Editorial Coordinator, AmaBhungane
- Spain - Sr. QA Engineer, Dow Jones
- UK - Multimedia Journalist, Cognitive Publishing
- UK - Sr. Tech Reporter, The Telegraph
- US - Head of Design & Visuals, Barron’s
- US - Summer Interns, Dow Jones News Fund
- US - Digital Editor, El Paso Inc.
- US - Special Projects Editor, Giddy
- US - Data Hub Web Developer, Newsday
- US - Global Technology Editor, Reuters
- US - Data Editor, San Francisco Business Times
- US - Digital Designer, Star Tribune
- US - Back-End Engineer, Texas Tribune
- US - Front-End Engineer, Texas Tribune
- Sep 28-30, Taiwan, World News Media Congress 2021
- Sep 29 - Oct 2, France, Assises Internationales du Journalisme de Tours
- Oct 1-2, Online, Cumbre Global sobre Desinformación
- Oct 3-5, Africa/Online, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- Oct 7-8, Online, Truth and Trust Online Conference
- Oct 14-15, Online, ONA Insights
- Nov 1-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Nov 3-4, Online, News Philanthropy Summit
- April 1-2, Austin, USA, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- October 27, Investigation grants for environmental journalism in the EU
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Funding to cover Covid in Black Sea countries
- Rolling deadline, IWMF relief grant for COVID-19 struggles
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism