Halloween in Google SearchesSuggest edits
Happy Halloween, hacks and hackers!
According to Google Trends, the global sensation “Squid Game” is the most searched costume, and “how to make a Halloween wreath” is the most searched decoration.
Worth a read:
- Two editors in South Africa combined forces to create a weekly newspaper during the pandemic called The Continent. Here’s how they grew it to an audience of over 15,000 subscribers across 105 countries.
- Numerical weather prediction systems can provide weather forecasts for several days ahead, but can’t precisely determine factors behind rainfall, so AI researchers created a nowcasting model that uses radar data to measure ground-level precipitation data. It can predict when, where and how long it’ll rain within two hours.
- This interactive storytelling piece shows how generative music and systems work using data visualizations combined with audio components.
- Anywhere - Assignment Editor, Balkan Investigative Regional Reporting Network
- Anywhere - Head of Social, Fortune
- Anywhere - Survey Data Journalist, YouGov
- Brazil - Macroeconomics Reporter, Reuters
- China - Reporter, Financial Times
- UK - Sr. International Press Officer, ARTICLE 19
- UK - Production Editor, Reuters
- UK - Sr. Designer, SWNS
- US - Data Journalist, AP
- US - Data Scientist, AP
- US - News Apps Developer, AP
- US - Assistant Sr. Editor, Digital Storytelling, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- US - Data Journalist, Austin American Statesman
- US - Reporting/Data Interns, Chalkbeat
- US - Digital Director, Detroit News
- US - Sr. Frontend Software Engineer, Gannett
- US - Digital Producer, Kaiser Health News
- US - News Application Editor, LA Times
- US - Audience Engagement Manager, Marshall Project
- US - Engagement Reporter, Marshall Project
- US - Research/Reporting/IT Interns, OpenSecrets
- US - Art Director, Quanta Magazine
- US - Interactive Graphics Intern, Seattle Times
- US - Graphics Managing Editor, Science Magazine
- Nov 1-5, Online, GIJN Conference
- Nov 3-4, Online, News Philanthropy Summit
- March 3-6, 2022, Atlanta, USA, NICAR
- April 1-2, 2022, Austin, USA, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- April 6-10, 2022, Perugia, Italy, International Journalism Festival
- June 22-23, 2022, Minneapolis, USA, SRCCON
- Rolling deadline, Pitch freelance stories in US news deserts to Parachute
- Rolling deadline, Funding from Google to fact-check vaccine misinformation
- Rolling deadline, Eyebeam grants for artistic contributions to journalism