Answer the news nerd surveySuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! This year’s OpenNews Survey, previously called the News Nerd Census, is now open for journalists who work with technology to fill out.
It takes about 15 minutes and asks about you, your work, your experience with OpenNews and priorities for the future. It’s an important way to help your fellow news and tech enthusiasts improve diversity and inclusion in journalism and tech!
Worth a read:
- The Design Observatory, a research project at the Center for Design at Northeastern University, explored how words used to describe “design” have changed from 2004 to 2018 in this scrollytelling visual analysis.
- Here are some tips from GIJN on how to optimize your Google search queries in investigations work, like using quotations around specific keywords and phrases and searching within sites using the “site:url” query.
- This Nightingale piece looks at a 1980s book on data visualization best practices to explore how charting has changed, and stayed the same, in the last four decades.
- Anywhere - openDemocracy, Sr. Investigative Editor
- Anywhere - The 19th, Web Applications Engineer
- Anywhere - Texas Tribune, Contract Data Visuals Editor (Oct-Nov)
- Cambodia - Global Media Asia, Editor
- Ireland - Noteworthy, Investigative Reporter
- UK - Euronews, Head of Audience Insight
- US - Floodlight, Sr. Investigative Editor
- US - Washington Post, Wellness Data Reporter
- August 11-14, Las Vegas, US, MisinfoCon at DefCon
- August 25-27, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Media Party
- September 8-10, New York, US, IPI World Congress
- September 21-24, Los Angeles, US, Online News Association Conference
- September 28-30, Zaragoza, Spain, World News Media Conference
- October 6, Prague, Czech Republic, News Impact Summit
- October 31 - November 2, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- December 2-4, Amman, Jordan, Arab Reporters Investigative Conference
- December 6-10, Washington DC, US, International Anti-Corruption Conference