Media Party registration openSuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! Registration for this year’s Media Party is open! The party is happening from August 25-27 in Buenos Aires.
The call for workshops and lightning talks closed on July 8, but you can still mark your calendars for in-person participation.
Happening this week:
- Nigeria is making journalism more tech-centric
Worth a read:
- City Bureau, a Chicago-based news org, received $10 million from the Stronger Democracy Award to expand its Documenters Network program across the country. The Documenters Network trains and pays citizens to attend and take notes at public meetings.
- GIJN collected free data extraction tools mentioned by investigative journalists at the IRE Conference that require no coding skills, like Google Pinpoint for working with PDFs and Tesseract for securely extracting data offline.
- Massive amounts of social media hype and venture funding have created a sense of enormous potential for technology like AI and disruptive startups. But real-world economic impact has been nowhere near as large, Nieman Lab writes, and may be creating an “unproductive bubble.”
- Anywhere - Axios, Social Media Editor
- Anywhere - Devex, Product Owner
- Anywhere - Documenters Network, Director of Technology
- Anywhere - Documenters Network, Deputy Director
- Anywhere - News Revenue Hub, Data Analyst
- Anywhere - Local Media Foundation/Word in Black, Health Data Reporter
- Austria - International Press Institute, Press Freedom & Communications Intern
- UAE - The National UAE, Digital Media Analyst
- UK - Financial Times, Data Journalist
- UK - Reuters, Full Stack Engineer
- US - Mountain State Spotlight, Economic Development Reporter
- US - Stacker, Data Editor
- US - Virginia Public Access Project, Content Lead
- July 8-13, Shanghai, China, World Journalism Education Congress
- July 15-17, Couthures-sur-Garonne, France, Festival International de Journalisme
- August 11-14, Las Vegas, US, MisinfoCon at DefCon
- August 25-27, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Media Party
- September 8-10, New York, US, IPI World Congress
- September 21-24, Los Angeles, US, Online News Association Conference
- September 28-30, Zaragoza, Spain, World News Media Conference
- October 6, Prague, Czech Republic, News Impact Summit
- October 24-26, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference
- December 2-4, Amman, Jordan, Arab Reporters Investigative Conference
- December 6-10, Washington DC, US, International Anti-Corruption Conference