New findings from the News Nerd SurveySuggest edits
A new installment of analysis from OpenNews’ News Nerd Survey is here, and this one hones in on the salaries of journalist-coder hybrids. They found that compensation is the top motivator for news nerds leaving jobs, and that the gender pay gap among coders remains stark.
Read overall findings from the survey here, which had 603 respondents, mostly from the U.S.
Worth a read:
- The Lenfest Institute, a journalism nonprofit that provides resources for news organizations, published its 2022 Impact Report that highlights the work it did in the Philadelphia news market as well as its work for local newsrooms nationwide.
- Dan Oshinsky, a former newsletter director at The New Yorker and Buzzfeed, runs an email consultancy called Inbox Collective which features a monthly Google Doc called Not a Newsletter where he posts readings and resources for running newsletters.
- Last week, BuzzFeed’s CEO announced it would be shuttering Buzzfeed News - a newsroom that won a Pulitzer Prize in 2021 and employed around a hundred journalists at its peak. NiemanLab chronicled the history of Buzzfeed News since its start in 2011.
- Hong Kong - CNN, Part-time Data & Graphics Editor
- UK - The Economist, Babbage, Assistant Audio Producer
- UK - Hearst, Art Editor - Wellness
- UK - MailOnline, SEO Editors
- UK - Moody’s, Data Journalist
- US - The Library of Congress, Visual Information Specialist
- US - Society for Science, Design Director
- June 8-10, Chicago, US, Media Party Chicago
- June 19-20, Online & Bonn, Germany, DW Global Media Forum
- September 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference
- November 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference