Apply to attend The Data InstituteSuggest edits
If you’re looking to beef up your data, design and code skills, The Data Institute is open! The Center for Journalism & Democracy and the Ida B. Wells Society run this free, in-person workshop for two weeks in July.
The program offers travel costs to and from D.C. along with a $1,000 stipend for participants. Applications are open through May 24.
Worth a read:
- The Institute for Nonprofit News launched a new website called RuralNewsNetwork.org. It spotlights reporting from rural communities in the US, and journalists can submit articles to be included.
- At Google’s I/O Conference, it announced changes to its search function, including the use of AI. The AI function will now generate answers that will cite a few sources, but might significantly decrease traffic to news sites.
- The Messenger is a new news website that launched on May 15 and hopes to become a trusted, non-partisan source of news, bringing several news veterans in as section editors.
- Anywhere, Hacks/Hackers - ARTT Partnerships Coordinator
- Australia - The ABC, Editorial Developer, Story Lab
- US - Accountable.US, Sr. Investigative Specialist
- US - AP, Data Journalist, Public Health
- US - Axios, Editorial Fellows
- US - Bellingcat, Open Source Investigator & Trainer
- US - CBS Colorado, Data Journalist
- US - CBS Texas, Data Journalist
- US - Hearst, Temporary Director of Motion Graphics
- US - The Messenger, Data Editor
- US - Newsday, Data Solutions Journalist
- US - OpenNews, Co-Director
- US - RCFP, Sr. Data Specialist
- US - Seattle Times, Graphics & Design Editor
- US - Vogue, Product Design Director
- US - WBEZ, Sr. Data Engineer
- June 8-10, Chicago, US, Media Party Chicago
- June 19-20, Online & Bonn, Germany, DW Global Media Forum
- June 22-25, Orlando, US, IRE Conference
- September 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference
- November 3-4, Columbia, MO, US, RJI Symposium: In service to our communities
- November 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference