Get ready for ONA 2023Suggest edits
The Online News Association’s ONA Conference is taking place later this month, from August 23-26th, in Philadelphia. The ONA site contains fun resources like a guide to convince your boss to let you attend and tips for first-time attendees.
The organization is also sponsoring a resume drop where journalists can submit a resume for recruiters to review. Anyone can turn in a resume, including non-attendees.
Worth a Read:
- Want to prevent OpenAI from scraping your pages, or just track whether they are using your site to train ChatGPT? They have now shared how their crawler can be identified, and potentially disallowed using robots.txt.
- Two professors did a study comparing New York Times headlines from the wars in Yemen and Ukraine, and found a bias that emphasizes Ukraine’s crisis due to U.S. interests, while Yemen’s suffering caused by the Saudi-led coalition is downplayed and obscured.
- Poynter talked with local newsrooms to see how they’re using AI in their newsrooms, and they’re experimenting with automating tasks like scanning for typos, summarizing stories and analyzing tone among others.
- Anywhere - OCCRP, Sr. Program Manager, Global Anti-Corruption Consortium
- Europe - Reporters Without Borders, Journalism Trust Initiative Director
- UK - Bureau of Investigative Journalism, Influence Ops Reporter
- UK - Global Witness, Head of Data Investigations
- London or Asia - BBC, Sr. Research Manager
- US - AP, Political Data Scientist
- US - Hearst, Data Reporter
- US - PolitiFact, Election Misinformation Reporter
- Aug 11-13, Las Vegas, US, Misinformation Village at DefCon
- Aug 23-26, Philadelphia, US, Online News Association Conference
- Sep 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference
- Sep 27-28, Online, Global Summit on Disinformation
- Oct 5-7, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires Media Party
- Oct 17-18, Minneapolis, US, SRC CON
- Nov 3-4, Columbia, MO, US, RJI Symposium
- Nov 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference