Follow the Media Party this weekSuggest edits
The famous Buenos Aires Media Party is here! This year, the conference will focus a lot on AI, especially the ethics, security, and privacy surrounding it. If you’re not in Argentina, you can keep an eye out for the #MediaParty hashtag on social media.
The Knight Center’s class on generative AI has started strong, with nearly 8,000 people signed up from almost 150 countries. The online course, featuring Hacks/Hackers AI researcher-in-residence Sil Hamilton, started last week. But it’s not too late to join - you can still sign up on the Knight Center website.
Worth a Read:
- The Fix is publishing a series on what it’s like working in different media professions, and one of their pieces focuses on data journalists and features Sondre Solstad of The Economist.
- Defining “news-ness” as audience-driven perception, a study finds relevance and representation impact how news is perceived, especially among young people.
- Journalist Alejandra Torrijos explores salsa’s cultural significance among migrants in Buenos Aires through a performance blending journalism and art. This project emerged from the Laboratorio de Periodismo Performático (Performance Journalism Lab), which aims to blend journalistic research with the arts to tell stories in innovative ways.
- UK - News UK, Apprentice Engagement Editor
- UK - The Telegraph, Deputy Head of Digital News
- UK - The Telegraph, Social Media Editor
- US - ESPN, Art Director
- US - LA Times, Data and Graphics Journalist
- US - CarbonPlan, Front-end Software Engineer
- US - Chronicle of Philanthropy, Chief Technology Officer
- US - ProPublica, Temporary Audience Editor
- US - Quanta Magazine, Editor in Chief
- US - WSJ, Graphics Reporter
- Oct 5-7, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires Media Party
- Oct 17-18, Minneapolis, US, SRC CON
- Nov 3-4, Columbia, US, RJI Symposium
- Nov 3-4, Baltimore, US and Online, IIB Awards & Day of Inspiration
- Nov 9-12, Toronto, Canada, WikiConference North America
- Nov 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference