New tools and techniques for DEI in data journalismSuggest edits
Also, this weekend Investigative Reporters and Editors is hosting AccessFest, an online conference on belonging, equity, and inclusion in newsrooms. AccessFest is entirely online and includes sessions on dataviz, data analysis and online tools.
Worth a Read:
- Burnt Toast creator Virginia Sole-Smith talked to Inbox Collective about how she built a product that now brings in a six-figure income. She addresses how she strategically uses reader surveys, Instagram, and paywalls to grow her subscriber count from zero.
- News Detective, a crowd-sourced fact-checking platform, empowers users to fact-check and discuss content, promoting media literacy and transparency. The platform’s evidence-based approach, including a successful pilot program, shows promise in addressing the misinformation challenge.
- Attendees at the Buenos Aires Media Party collaborated to put together a Manifesto on the state of the industry and where it’s heading. Two-thirds of respondents said AI and Virtual Reality should be addressed at future innovation conferences, along with misinformation and sustainability.
- Anywhere - OCCRP, Executive Director, Reporters Shield
- UK - University of London, Investigative Journalism Professor
- US - City Bureau, Documenters Network Civic Developer
- US - Northwestern University, Data Journalism Professor
- US - Ohio University, Professor of UX and UI Design
- US - Princeton University, Visiting Journalism Professors
- US - Science News, Audience Engagement Editor
- US - Science News, Assistant Art Director
- US - States Newsroom, Software Engineer
- US - Texas Tribune, Fellows
- US - The 19th, Managing Editor