Start A GroupSuggest edits
So you want to start a Hacks/Hackers chapter of your own? Welcome! To start a group under the Hacks/Hackers banner, we just have a few rules:
- Your primary goal must be to foster connections journalists (the “hacks”) and technologists (the “hackers”) to rethink the future of news and information. You can read more about Hacks/Hackers’ goals here.
- You must abide by the Hacks/Hackers Charter on respect, responsibility and collaboration.
- There can only be one group per city. You can check the current chapters here.
- The group must have a place to organize, whether that be Meetup.com, a Facebook group, an Eventbrite series, or whatever works best for you. Get in touch to see how we can help with funding, hosting or organizing landing pages.
- At least one of the group leaders needs to join the Organizers email list so we can contact you. If you’re interested, we can hook you up with a mentor – another organizer – to help you get started.
If you’ve got those fundamentals down, there are a few more that aren’t strictly necessary, but we would like to see:
- Have at least two chapter organizers, ideally at least one from the journalism industry and one from tech. (It’s going to be more work than you think!)
- Get together at least a few times a year.
- Commit to working at least a few hours per month to arrange events and keep the community alive. You can find suggestions for events here.
- Subscribe to the newsletter to see what your co-hacks and hackers are up to. The newsletter also includes events, funding announcements, job openings, and news for news nerds.
Got all that? Good! Send us a note on the organizers email list and tell us about your first event!