Happy SRCCON weekSuggest edits
Hello, hacks and hackers! One of the premiere news nerd events is happening this week: SRCCON online.
Worth a read:
- A new paper by Hacks/Hackers Researcher-at-Large and NewsQ Initiative Director Connie Moon Sehat discusses how the effort to prioritize news content according to journalistic values belongs to a larger question regarding the role of expertise within democratic societies.
- After giving millions of dollars to news organizations for content in its News section, Facebook won’t be re-upping contracts with news publishers in favor of investing in more TikTok-esque content.
- GIJN wrote tips on how to investigate photos using open source geolocation tools and examining other details in a photo, like shadows, to determine the time of year when the photo was taken.
- Anywhere - The Information, Visual Journalist
- Anywhere - OCCRP, Intern Web Tester
- Anywhere - Qurio, Full Stack Developer
- Africa - Code for Africa, Project Manager
- Malaysia - Dow Jones, Research Analyst
- US, UK or Italy - Moody’s, Data Visualization Specialist
- US - Amateur Radio Digital Communications, Director of Technology
- US - Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Multiple data/audience roles
- US - Dallas Morning News, Researcher
- US - Hechinger Report, Data Reporter
- US - NOLA.com, Software Engineer
- US - WBTV, Investigative Producer
- June 20-21, Bonn, Germany, DW Global Media Forum
- June 22-24, Minneapolis, US, SRCCON
- June 22-25, Oslo, Norway, Global Fact Conference
- June 23-26, Denver, US, IRE
- June 27-30, Honolulu, US, EWC International Media Conference
- June 27-July 1, Medellín, Colombia, World Conference of Science Journalists
- July 8-13, Shanghai, China, World Journalism Education Congress
- July 15-17, Couthures-sur-Garonne, France, Festival International de Journalisme
- August 11-14, Las Vegas, US, MisinfoCon at DefCon
- August 25-27, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Media Party
- October 24-26, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference