European media hackathon open for projectsSuggest edits
Applications are now open for the European Media hackathon Media Blend, which is a three-day competition for media managers, journalists and technologists to explore tech-powered solutions that improve and enhance journalism operations, sustainability, production and storytelling.
The main event will take place in Vienna, Austria in late May, and winning projects can win grants of €5,000. The deadline for applications is March 17.
Happening this week:
- East Africa is talking about statistics
Worth a read:
- GIJN publishes a weekly top 10 round up of the best data journalism articles, books, podcasts and more from around the world. Here’s a look at what made last week’s list.
- The Eyeo Festival from last year gathered creative technologists from different mediums, including journalism, to talk about the convergence of art and technology. They posted videos from all the talks on their Vimeo here to watch for free.
- Twitter is testing out a feature that puts a tiny logo of a journalist’s employer next to their verification checkmark, so that every tweet made by a journalist account will have their employer’s logo alongside it.
- Anywhere - Rest of World, Visual & UX Designer
- US - American Press Institute, Web Applications Engineer
- US - Center for Public Integrity, Data Journalist
- US - CoinDesk, Social Media Editor
- US - KQED, Digital Editor, Climate
- US - ICIJ, Digital Producer/Editor
- US - ProPublica, Interactive Story Designer
- US - VTDigger, Digital Editor
- US - WFYI Public Media, Data Journalist
- US - WFYI Public Media, Digital Producer
- US - WSJ, Graphics Reporter/Digital Cartographer
- US - WSJ, Social Media Tech Editor
- January 23-27, Online & US, National News Literacy Week
- March 2-5, Nashville, US, NICAR
- April 14-15, Online & Austin, US, International Symposium on Online Journalism
- April 19-23, Perugia, Italy, International Journalism Festival
- September 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference