Hacks/Hackers is hiring a researcherSuggest edits
Hacks/Hackers is a global network of local grassroots organizations, and a community of journalists and technologists who collaborate to create physical and digital community to explore new ways to tell stories. The Researcher will serve on the NSF Analysis and Response for Trust Tool (ARTT) project. This is an inherently dynamic project, in which roles will be defined and refined often.
The Researcher for the NSF Analysis and Response for Trust Tool (ARTT) project will play a crucial role in developing expert-informed resources for online communities. The primary focus of the ARTT project is to enhance public conversations and trust-building by providing practical tools and guidance to individuals engaged in online discussions. In collaboration with the Project Manager and Principal Investigator (PM/PI), the Researcher will be responsible for conducting research, coordinating research efforts, and contributing to the creation of project-related materials.
- Product and Project Research
- Conduct literature reviews and research (e.g. mixed methods, user) related to trust-building in online conversations.
- Translate research findings into actionable insights and recommendations for the software tool.
- Collaborate with co-PIs and other personnel to refine research directions.
- Research Coordination
- Facilitate partner testing to ensure effective implementation of the project’s goals.
- Coordinate with major research partners to support project development.
- Project-related Documentation
- Contribute to writing and editing of project materials, including instructional content and website pages.
- Assist in developing training materials and curricular resources for project outreach.
- Create and maintain internal project work documentation.
- Communications and Presentations
- Support external communication efforts by providing project-related documentation and resources.
- Represent the project as a liaison when directed.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to share project updates and outcomes.
- Other Related Tasks
- Perform additional tasks as directed by the Project Manager and Principal Investigator.
- Adapt and contribute to evolving roles and responsibilities as the project develops.
This is a remote position with occasional travel. The contract will be for 1 year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon the continued success of the project. Candidates must be located in U.S. timezones and authorized to work in the U.S. The expected salary range is $75,000-$85,000 plus a healthcare stipend and generous leave policy.
Qualifications and Skills
- A Master’s degree or higher level of education, with an academic background in disciplines related to the ARTT project such as the social sciences, digital literacy, conflict resolution, or psychology
- Strong skills in discovering and translating research into practical applications and understandable language
- Ability to define research agendas flexibly and independently, with frequent pivots as needed
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with research teams is advantageous
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with others, including soliciting feedback and working iteratively
- Experience conducting studies or software user research is highly desirable
How to Apply
We recognize that we are seeking a wide range of skills and experience for this position, and not all candidates will be an exact match for the criteria as laid out in the job description. We do not expect every candidate to be equally skilled in these areas, and this is not a complete list of what you may be asked to do or what you may bring to the role. Please feel free to let us know about other relevant skills and qualifications that may be of interest to us. If you do not have the exact combination of skills, but you love our mission, we’d still love to hear from you. If not this role, there might be more opportunities in the future.
Hacks/Hackers does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, age, parental status or any other non-merit factor.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please apply by filling out this form: https://forms.gle/B3UaAFJNKKLU5xKw9
Learn more about the ARTT Project here: https://artt.cs.washington.edu/