Journalism groups ask Press Forward to distribute funding equitablySuggest edits
The Press Forward fund, a $500 million investment over five years, aims to bolster the structure of local news in the US. The coalition is led by the MacArthur Foundation and includes nearly two dozen other funders, including the Lenfest Institute and the Knight Foundation.
A group of journalism organizations, including the National Association of Black Journalists, the Online News Association, and OpenNews, issued an open letter to Press Forward, asking the coalition to prioritize equitable distribution of the fund to underrepresented voices.
“If philanthropy is not intentional about addressing historical funding inequities and the processes by which they persist, it is complicit in the harm they inflict,” the letter reads. “At a time when we are seeing intentional and structural attacks on marginalized communities gain momentum in our society, this would be unacceptable.”
Worth a Read:
- Hacks/Hackers Researcher-at-Large and Analysis and Response Toolkit for Trust (ARTT) Principal Investigator Connie Moon Sehat was recently interviewed by Public Health Review, a podcast produced by the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). In the interview, Sehat provides an update on the ARTT project, which is developing practical tools that support trust-building online conversations online.
- ONA is hosting ONA23: Onward, a virtual mini-conference focused on AI, journalism revenue and tech updates, later this month. Registration is open now, with discounts for members and students, and ONA23 conference attendees get free entrance.
- The City, a nonprofit news outlet in New York City, is reducing reporters' working hours in response to reduced input from donors. The City announced significant audience growth this year, but that did not translate to increased revenue from donors.
- Sep 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference
- Sep 27-28, Online, Global Summit on Disinformation
- Sep 28-29, Online, ONA23: Onward
- Oct 5-7, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires Media Party
- Oct 17-18, Minneapolis, US, SRC CON
- Nov 3-4, Columbia, US, RJI Symposium
- Nov 9-12, Toronto, Canada, WikiConference North America
- Nov 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference