Join our new AI course with the Knight Center!Suggest edits
Hacks/Hackers, with the Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas, is offering a new online course on generative AI. The course, “How to use ChatGPT and other generative AI tools in your newsroom,” will investigate how AI tools can impact newsrooms, and how journalists can put them to work.
The MOOC features Sil Hamilton, an AI researcher at Hacks/Hackers, and Aimee Rinehart from the Associated Press’ Local News AI initiative. It runs from from September 25th to October 22nd - and registration is free!
In addition, we are hiring a Researcher to help with our NSF-funded Analysis and Response for Toolkit for Trust (ARTT) project. The position will entail conducting research, coordinating research efforts, and contributing to the creation of project-related materials.
Worth a Read:
- LEAP, ICFJ’s news innovation lab, is hosting an AI and Disinformation Solutions Challenge. The challenge invites journalists, technologists and product specialists to develop news products that use AI to amplify the truth over 12 weeks. The deadline to apply is September 3rd, and the program begins September 18th.
- The Online News Association held their annual conference this past weekend, and its Student Newsroom covered the conference and its sessions. Their coverage includes writeups on how newsrooms navigate language barriers and how the AP is using AI in its workflow.
- Poynter, along with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is hosting a free webinar to discuss how to use data to tell nuanced stories about death and dying. The instruction will address suicide and gun violence, and Poynter published an interview with the chair of its Center for Ethics and Leadership on the topic.
- US - Hacks/Hackers, Community Coordinator
- US - Hacks/Hackers, Researcher
- US - FiveThirtyEight, Sr. Visual Journalist
- US - Hechinger Report, Executive Editor
- US - Lenfest Institute, Community Manager
- US - Nebraska Journalism Trust, Audience Manager
- US - ProPublica, Assistant Director, Prospect Management and Research
- US - Rest of World, Fact Checking Lead
- Sep 19-22, Gothenburg, Sweden, Global Investigative Journalism Conference
- Sep 27-28, Online, Global Summit on Disinformation
- Oct 5-7, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires Media Party
- Oct 17-18, Minneapolis, US, SRC CON
- Nov 3-4, Columbia, MO, US, RJI Symposium
- Nov 9-12, Toronto, Canada, WikiConference North America
- Nov 20-22, Johannesburg, South Africa, African Investigative Journalism Conference